On July 30, 1865 Blessed Pius IX entrusted the Apostolic Vicariate of Suriname to the pastoral care of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer. According to the decision of the then superior general, the Most Rev. Nicholas Mauron, the mission remained the responsibility of the Redemptorist missionaries of the Province of Amsterdam (integrated today into the Province of Sanctus Clemens). The Dutch Redemptorists arrived in Suriname on February 20, 1866.
As the commemoration of 150 years of Redemptorist presence approaches, the Redemptorists who are presently in Suriname are beginning to plan a jubilee celebration. According to Fr. Rudolf Jacobus Croon, member of San Paolo province, the objective is “to remember the Redemptorist presence in Suriname and to cast the nets into the deepest waters, seeking to preach the Gospel in ever new ways.
Blessed Peter Donders is the most prominent figure in the history of the Redemptorists in Suriname, because of his missionary activity in Paramaribo and also in the leprosarium of Batavia. He came to Suriname in 1842, still a diocesan priest, and then entered the Congregation in 1867, already more than 50 years old, and died in 1887. Today his tomb can be found in the cathedral of Paramaribo. Every month the local church conducts a pilgrimage to the leprosarium of Batavia.
In 2000, the superior general, Most Rev. Joseph Tobin entrusted the mission in Suriname to the care of the Union of Redemptorists of Brazil (URB). The Region of Suriname is currently the responsibility of the URB Sub-Conference.
On February 20, 2015, the Redemptorist missionaries commemorated the 149th anniversary of their presence in Surimame. The period of August 1, 2015 – August 1, 2016 will be a jubilee year to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the mission and the 15th anniversary of the presence of the Brazilians Redemptorists in the country.