From the first week of September 2015, the Redemptorist community began a campaign to renovate the church of St. Alphonsus, located in the historic center of Cuenca in southern Ecuador. It is hoped that with donations from the faithful, raffles and other activities they will be able to restore the façade of the church.
This church, with the rank of a minor basilica is one of the oldest in the Azuay capital and its construction was begun in 1875. The infrastructure combines many architectural features, but the most important are its Gothic features.
After obtaining some permits from the Department of Historical Areas and Heritage of the Municipality of Cuenca, the Redemptorists started the work, which is being undertaken under the direction of the architect Daniel Barrera. According to Father Nicolas Orozco CSsR, the community resources are not enough for this project and so they decided to ask the support of the faithful.
The Gothic design of the sanctuary, built in 1881 under the guidance of Juan Bautista Stiehle, a Redemptorist, hides many significant religious and cultural treasures, among which the most prominent are the 92 glass windows inside the church. According to records found in an inscription it was the French painter and artist, Henri Louis Victor Gesta, who completed this work.