At six p.m., on April 20th of this year, in the Sanctuary-Parish of Santo Cristo de La Agonía [literally, Holy Christ of the Agony], three major events occurred: the celebration of the great Sunday of the Lord’s Resurrection, the opening of the ‘Jubilee Year’ of the Parish of Santo Cristo de La Agonía, and the first ever presentation of “Redemptorist Oblate” certificates to four lay people of the parish.
To its credit, this Sanctuary-Parish has undergone several transformations from 1927 to 2014. The first building to be constructed in honor of Our Lord of Esquipulas was in 1849. This church was called “Calvary.” Later on the name was changed to “Agony.” In 1912 it was called “Santo Cristo de Esquipulas.” And from the historic day of March 31, 1940, when the present church was inaugurated, it has been called the Sanctuary of “Santo Cristo de Esquipulas and Our Lady of Perpetual Help.” And from December 23, 1964, when the second canonical erection of the Sanctuary of the Agony as a parish took place, according to the Decree of creation, it is called the “Parish of the Santo Cristo de La Agonía,” a church known by common agreement, as the church of La Agonía.
Bishop Angel San Casimiro Fernández, Bishop of Alajuela, presided over the solemn Eucharist. Frs. Manuel Cruz Meza, provincial superior; Jeffry Artavia, superior and pastor; and other Redemptorist priests of the community concelebrated with him. Many faithful of the parish, coming from different areas of the parish, attended this event on the Sunday of the Lord’s Resurrection, and thus to witness with their presence, an historic moment in the life of the parish: four lay people, sons and daughters of this parish, our brothers and sisters, Beatriz Mayela Delgado Solera, José Antonio Hidalgo García, Marta Eugenia García Suarez and Esmeralda Gutiérrez Araya, better known as “Lala”, received from the hands of Very Rev. Fr. Manuel Cruz Meza, provincial superior of Central America, the certificate of “Redemptorist Oblate.”
By bestowing this very significant certificate, the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, in the person of the superior general, Most Rev. Michael Brehl, recognizes the eminent service to the mother Congregation by these sisters and brothers, making them participate in all the spiritual blessings, prayers and missionary works.
Fr. Bosco José Rodríguez, CSsR