In the early 1920’a a copy of the original icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Succour (Help) was brought to the Redemptorist seminary chapel in Zboisk near Lviv, Ukraine. During World War II a soldier walked into the chapel and shot several times at the icon, piercing it above Jesus’ head.
During the Soviet occupation, a Redemptorist, Br Irenee took this icon into his appartment in the city centre of Lviv. After Blessed Vasyl Velychkovsky returned from prison in 1955, he lived with Br Irenee. Blessed Vasyl prayed and celebrated the Divine Liturgy before this holy icon from 1955 to 1969. Before it, he wrote the book “A History of the Miraculous Icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help”. In the early 1990’s, it was brought to the Redemptorist Seminary in Holosko. After the apartment, where Blessed Vasyl lived, was restored and established as a museum, this precious icon was returned here. This pierced icon reminded the people of the Mother of God’s protection and co-suffering with the faithful during the time of persecution by the Soviets. Now it has been tranferred to St Josaphat’s church in Lviv, where many faithful continue to pray before it.