The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer celebrates 92 years of presence of Redemptorists missionaries in Venezuela.
On March 14, 1925, the Fathers Alvarez Palacios, Esteban Arce and Brother Rafael Nebot Robles begun the foundation, until the 24th housed in the archbishop Palace.
From the 24th of this month until February 3, 1927, they lived in a rented house near the Church of San José. The first Visitor or Vice-Provincial of the foundation in Venezuela was Father Andrés Alvarez (1925-1927), it was called Venezuelan Viceprovince.
We have Redemptorist presence in Caracas (Sanctuary of Coromoto – Philosophical Pedro Donders and Brisas del Paraíso); Valencia (La Purísima Parish); Barquisimeto (San José Parish), San Cristobal (Perpetual Socorro Sanctuary), Barinas (Medalla Milagrosa Parish) and Maracaibo (Parish San Alfonso attended by the Province of Bogota).
“For us, our presence as Redemptorists in the country today is a challenge. At the moment, the Vice-Province consists of 18 Priests; 1 Student of temporary vows. In formation period, without votes: 2 pre novices; 6 Students of philosophy and 6 in the propaedeutic.
From Father Alexander Nieves, Venezuela.
Excerpt from the book ““Los Misioneros Redentoristas en Venezuela 1925-2008. Memoria y Análisis”,, by Father Lauro Núñez Huerta. September 2009. (Page 26-30)
To read more in Spanish please see the link: https://www.cssr.news/spanish/2017/03/92-anos-de-presencia-redentorista-en-venezuela/